 |
| I had a very pleasant ride Friday morning. Once off I-84, NY-17, someday to become I-86, is a very scenic ride once you're up past Middletown. The estimated completion date of the NY-17 to I-86 upgrade, originally 2009, has been pushed back several times. Due to lack of economic development along the parts of the corridor signed as I-86 and the current state funding situation, the project has been postponed indefinitely, and the funding transferred to other projects. The day was a perfect driving day with one fuel stop. |
As mentioned in my previous blog, the Hudson Islanders are planning the 2023 RV season and my stay at Belden Hill Campground in Harpursville, NY, will give me a first-hand experience. I'm posting this blog three days after my arrival so that members of the Hudson Islanders considering reservations can perhaps see for themselves and reserve soon. For those new to my blogs, I always encourage readers to click on any links that are in RED for more information and facts that I cannot add in the blog. This website in particular is worth a look. It's well done, pleasing to the eye and hopefully the members of my group will find it worthy of the trip as there are many details contained on the website. I've already contacted the owner, Brian, a most pleasant, easy going, personable gentlemen who has extended himself to make planning a breeze. His plans for upgrading in several areas will make our July 23, 2023 week most pleasant.
I researched Harpursville via
Wikipedia and found the following about Robert Harpur (January 25,
1731 Ballybay County Monaghan, Ireland - April 15, 1825)
for whom the city was named. He was an Irish-American teacher,
politician, pioneer, and landowner. He participated in surveying lands within
the Central Military Tract in New York State and is credited with
giving classical (Latin and Greek) place names to numerous locations
in central New York. He settled in the Binghamton, New York area,
where Harpur College is named for him.
Harpur was a
graduate of the University of Glasgow and taught in Ireland for 7
years before coming to the Colony of New York in 1760. Three days
after his arrival in 1761 he was installed as professor of mathematics at
King's College, renamed Columbia College after U.S. independence
(today Columbia University). One of his prized pupils was Alexander
Hamilton while he studied there in 1774. During his tenure, he was
hired by the university to catalog the collections of the Columbia library,
making him the first librarian of the university.
Harpur served in
various capacities in the New York government during the American
Revolution. He was a member of the New York State Assembly from 1777
to 1784. He was Deputy Secretary of State under John Morin
Scott and Lewis Allaire Scott from 1778 to 1795. In the spring
of 1795, after the American Revolutionary War, Robert Harpur, with his 2nd wife
Myra and family, moved west along the upper Susquehanna River. He settled
near Belden Brook on his Warren Patent, which is near
present-day Harpursville, NY..JPG)
.JPG) |
| Clean, nicely landscaped; a great first impression. |
.JPG) |
| Approaching the Registration Office |
.JPG) |
My site somewhere up in the "Mountain View Pull-Thrus". This view facing northwest.
 | 76 acres with terrific views east and south
|
 | I am presently on site H. Next year, site C
|
|
.JPG) |
| My site H before pulling into it; about 70 feet. |
.JPG) |
| Near level as it could be, there's still a big first step onto a sloping grade. |
.JPG) |
| My two levelers gave me perfect level |
.JPG) |
| Plenty of room for those towing vehicles ("toads") |
.JPG) |
| Fire Rings on each site |
 |
| My view to the southeast. Terrific views even on this overcast day. Note the plank for leveling if necessary. |
.JPG) |
| Across the road behind me. |
.JPG) |
| Even in front, plenty of space. |
.JPG) |
| Spacious sites are well maintained. |
.JPG) |
| On the way out I plan to top off my on-board propane tank. Current rate is $4.00/gal |
Here's a 360° video clip of my surroundings. Despite the hilly look, the individual sites are surprisingly level. I noticed this morning that after an RV leaves the site, a tractor comes by to re-level the stone. He drops his bucket and plows backward to smooth the site for the next camper.
Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read. Next blog from Spacious Skies: Woodland Hills Campground in Austerlitz, New York. Enjoy this incredible Fall weather.
Thanks! Looks nice! RF
ReplyDeleteLarge spacious sites. I will be calling to add to our three-leg trip July-August next year. Thanks for your research Charlie. DC
ReplyDeleteLooks good Charlie but no trees/shade?? How can this be? Have a good time and thanks for the blog.
ReplyDeleteNice looking campground. Level and clean. No trees - no shade. No trees will make George happy! With 50 amp, we will be able to run at least two of our a/c units. No shade, we will bring our pop-up. ~ vc
ReplyDeleteNice Blog Charlie see you for brunch..
ReplyDelete